Svalbard: Experience the Arctic
Join us on a trip to Spitsbergen for a chance to experience polar day, admire the Arctic flora and fauna, see huge glaciers and visit settlements that are centuries old.
The polar land of Arctic adventurers, hunters, miners, mushers and scientists awaits you. You will be sailing aboard a cruise ship and a speedboat – PolarCirkel – all the way up to the gigantic glaciers that break off and collapse into the cold waters of the Arctic Ocean. You will get close to see a huge, blue-colored ice floe swimming up the fjord.
There will also be time to grab a beer at the world's northernmost restaurant, to learn and understand the rules that govern the Arctic in the small and cozy museum in Longyearbyen and to explore the ghost town of Pyramid.
This expedition is for people of all ages who want to experience the extraordinary and mysterious. Join us now!
Flight to Spitsbergen. We start the trip from the Arctic capital of Spitsbergen – Longyearbyen. Tour through the miners' town, a visit to the interesting Arctic museum and the Polar Institute. Walk around the port, shopping time. In the evening, dinner in the northernmost restaurant of the world "Kroa: Na Samom Krayu Mira".
A few-hour cruise on a motorboat PolarCirkel to the Nordfjord, where we will see the beauty of the harsh northern nature: large, mobile glaciers and magnificent Arctic landscapes. We will reach the abandoned Russian mining settlement Pyramida. It is a ghost town with abandoned, fully equipped houses, a remnant of the "Soviet power of the north" with Lenin's sad head in the center and a natural training ground where nature slowly receives what has been taken from it. During good weather (necessary condition), we will go for an 8-kilometer tundra walk to the Polish Petuniabukta Research Station of the Adam Mickiewicz’s University.
Continuation of the Pyramid tour - we will walk through an old mining track with a view of the city and visit the industrial part of the city. Cruise on the Isfjord, where we will again be delighted by the magnificent arctic landscapes, walls of huge glaciers and steep cliffs, being a breeding ground of countless birds. We will have the opportunity to look at seals, and with luck, walruses or Beluga whales.
Expedition to the highest mountain in this part of Spitsbergen, Nordenskjold (1050m above sea level), a moment of blissful relaxation on the green meadow and watching the reindeer, polar foxes, birds and searching for fossils. For those who need adrenaline - dog sledding. In the evening, for those willing polar disco!
Day for optional excursions (extra charge): off-road car ride to old mines and research stations or excursion on sea kayaks at Adventfjord, dog sleds or full-day boat trips to the city of Barentsburg. Departure in the evening and arrival home the next day.
VALBARD: Experience the Arctic 2017 by KRZYSIEK STĘPLOWSKI SVALBARD: Experience the Arctic 2015 SVALBARD: Experience the Arctic 2010
• a return flight ticket with all airport charges
• care of an English-speaking guide
• 5x breakfast, 1x dinner, 1x half board
• accommodation in Longyearbyen and Pyramiden in four-bed rooms (single or double rooms at extra cost)
• transport from the airport to the city and from the city to the airport
• transfer from the accommodation to the port and back in Longyearbyen
• motorboat cruises along with waterproof protectors
• a cruise from the Pyramid with a guaranteed dinner
• 1x tasting of the Russian Arctic beer "Krasny Medwed (Red Bear)"
• information packages and maps
• NNW and KL + insurance of luggage up to 200 Euro
• obligatory insurance guarantee for the travel agency
• a mandatory fee for the State Tourist Guarantee Fund (TFG) for each person
PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE::
• Additional payment for a single room for the entire trip: PLN 2,500/person
• Additional payment for a double room for the whole trip: PLN 1500/person
• Optional trips and admission tickets (Arctic museum - about PLN 40, optional, full day expedition trip - about PLN 800, dog sled ride - about PLN 450 (indicative prices from 2017, prices for 2018 may be slightly vary).
The place of departure is WARSAW. In case you wish to travel from another destination or book flights on your own, please contact us for price qutotion for this trip.
• In a guest houses – 2 kilometers from the center of Longyearbyen and in the Pyramid. Accommodation in four-bedded rooms (with double or single room extra charge). There is a kitchen with a dining room and a guest room, as well as shared showers and toilets in the corridor. The possibility of buying drinks.
• Due to the limited number of beds on Spitsbergen, if the number of same-sex participants is not divisible by 4, we cannot guarantee rooms exclusively for women / men.
Breakfast: a Swedish table provided in the price of the accommodation, including dinner on the ship and a typical Russian mining dinner. Other meals on their own. In the city center there is a supermarket and several restaurants. There is a possibility to use the kitchen in a guest house.
Polar northern climate, temperature 5-10 ° C throughout the day, often the wind blows cold and is mostly cloudy. Snow and rain are minimal here (the Spitsbergen island is called the Arctic desert).
During two hiking trips, the route will run mainly on the tundra, without paths, and when approaching the Nordenskjold mountain there will be approaches and tracts of snow at higher altitudes.
We travel in small groups. The minimum number of people on the trip is 6, maximum 12.
• The date of departure may be postponed by 1-2 days due to a change of flights or a lack of free accommodation on the island.
• The days program may change depending on the conditions on the spot.
• The program is interesting for children (note: children up to 14 years old instead of a fast motorboat PolarCirkel will sail a large ship).
• The white bear is the king of the Arctic. Meeting with this predator is, however, very unlikely. In the summer season, its occurrence is limited to the distant ice-cold areas where it hunts (quite far from Longyearbyen, where we will be staying). Nevertheless, in the event of an unexpected encounter with a white bear, during all walks the guide will carry weapons.
• The organizer of the trip is Active Travel Agency Barents.pl